Re: Vang Fabrication

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Vang Fabrication
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:36:30 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Bram,
Thank you for the update on the vang and the drilling template.  My rough
vang arm tapers from 2-1/4" to 3/8" and is 39" long, to be cut down to 36", per
the plans.  The angle of the photo may make it appear too narrow.

I could not find a source for 3/16" SS rod and SS sleeves, only 1/4", so I
plan to make the make the new sleeve pivot base with an independant upper and
lower sleeve that are pinned separately to the lower mast.  I will bond the SS
rod into the vang pivot base and wrap 3" carbon uni-tape around 1/4" ID nylon
sleeves to fabricate the pivot base sleeves for the mast.  This solution will
allow assembly of the vang pivot onto the mast with the permanent SS pin in the
vang pivot base.  The downside to this approach will be more difficulty in
making on-the-water adjustments to the vang sleeves.  Let me know if you have
any suggestions.

Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040

In a message dated 7/12/2006 7:04:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, BDally6107
writes:

> Bill,
>  Good to hear from you.  I believe the rigging manual is correct on the vang
> measurements however, don't drill the holes in the lever until you have the
> mast rigged.  You'll be able to install the pivot base/pivot arms and place
> the lever in the slot to make sure it clears the mast for maximum travel.  Be
> sure to use the newer sleeve type pivot base that slides up and down on the
> mast.
>
> I'll be going to the post office tomorrow and will send you a mast template.
>
> Keep up the good work.
>
> Hey, is the wide end of your vang arms wide enough to fit over the boom?  It
> looks narrow in the picture.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bram

JPEG image