RE: non skid pattern

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: non skid pattern
From: "Rob DesMarais, D.C." <drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:34:44 -0600
There is a company in Texas called Gibco-Flex Molds that I think could be an
option.  They have dozens of patterns that are used on commercial sail and
powerboats for non-skid.  They sent me a free stack of sample patterns.
Aggressive to worthless for our application.  What I tried as a sample was
wetting out a 2" strip of glass, applying an extra puddle of epoxy on this
and than placing the pattern followed by a piece of plastic and plywood and
clamping.  I came out with a nice relatively clear 2 inch strip of non-skid
glass.  It was flexible enough that it could be lightly sanded on the back
and than epoxied to the deck.   The Flex Mold peels right off and should be
reusable.

Some considerations:

*     How long would the hard epoxy hold up??

*     Varnishing for UV protection could eventually fill in the pattern?

*     Time consuming.

*     Would add some strength to the step with the added strips of glass.

*     You can still see the wood through the strips.

             Rob