Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?

To: email.kerem@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:26:18 EST

Kerem,
Good to hear that things are moving forward for you.  We look forward  to
seeing you on the water.

No conclusive testing between the two rigs has been done to  date. The
original 2 Swifts both had double spreader rigs at first.   That included the
first
Forte carbon mast as well.  During the early  mast/ sail development period,
the lower spreaders (primaries) were  removed as an experiment.  We found the
boat easier to sail without them  because it was easier to adjust the rig for
changing wind conditions. We noticed  no loss of speed, however, our speed
testing was less than scientific.

To put this in perspective---The distance from the hounds to the tip of the
mast on the Swift is the same as the 49er.  The distance from the mast  base
to the lowers is also the same.  The unsupported span of the  mast from the
lowers to the hounds is 42 inches shorter on the Swift than  the 49er.  With
lower spreaders, the bend stiffness in that short span was  pretty much
un-adjustable while underway.  They made the entire  mast more rigid.

The beauty of the current system (once set up properly) is that a simple
change in mast rake is all that is needed to shift gears.  An increase in
primary tension reduces lower and cap shroud tension--making the mast bend
more
(you can increase this softening by letting off the forestay a bit just  before
adding primary tension).  This has the secondary benefit of  softening the vang
tension at the same time.  When the wind  drops to the point that you are
looking for more power--letting the mast  forward tightens the lowers, the
caps,
and the vang.  The mast  becomes plenty ridged at that point in my opinion.

All of the above should be viewed as observation and not empirical
conclusions.  The best among us know about 15% of what there is to  know about
the
science of sailing.  The rest of us know 12%.  Every  person who is in a
position
to do empirical testing brings more knowledge to the  table-- with success and
with failure.  Neither will shock me with  regard to double spreaders (but
I'll bet 60/40 on the single spreader  rig).  It will be fun to have a go with
the double spreader boats to find  out.

Bram

In a message dated 2/19/2008 10:31:33 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,