Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx, jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx, email.kerem@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?
From: Steve Nichols <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:27:55 -0800 (PST)
Firstly,

I am still around!!

The reason that the CST spars have been designed with lower spreaders is to
"lock off" the lower section of the mast. I was concerned that many of the
single spreader Forte rigs I saw in Florida had no tension on the lowers at all
even in light airs. They were effectively doing nothing. The addition of lower
spreaders should mean that the lower part of the mast is forcefully thrust
forward when rig tension is applied. This means that the lowers can be used to
lock the mast off at the desired bend for the wind strength. Pulling the
primaries on normally lets the lowers off about the right amount to
"automatically" increase lower mast bend as breeze increases thereby flattening
the lower part of the main as is desirable in these circumstances. I worked
with Chris Dixon at CST when designing the mast. Based on data that I obtained
the CST section will be softer than the Forte sideways and stiffer on the fore
& aft plane.

I obtained my dagger board from C-Tech and their service was awesome. I know
they supply a lot of the 12ft skiff masts over here. Their prices would I
suspect be significantly cheaper than CST. Website is http://www.c-tech.co.nz/
As Jordan states it would require some design input re flex charateristics etc

 The boat is bonded and rough sanding completed but boy have I been busy in
other areas  of my life!!
4 days in Sydney from Sunday then Adelaide in a couple of weeks for a week. (I
might try and catch up Jordan) At Easter I'm competing in the no2 Ocean race
here in Australia. The Brisbane to Gladstone Yacht Race.

Cheers,

Steve