Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:32:16 EST
Cc: email.kerem@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx

So that we don't send Kerem the wrong impression, I think it is  important to
be fair and point out that USA 002 probably has more time on  it than any
other Swift and this boat is starting its' sixth season of sailing  with the
same
Forte carbon mast.  I've had the same Forte mast in USA 013  for four seasons
without structural problems. We have a significant number  of boats in both
the US and Canada with Forte masts--the vast majority of  which have had not
structural problems (I do think they've all refinished the  surface coating and
some had sail track problems due to Forte using the wrong  sail track
adhesive).  In fact, all Swift sailors in all of our  championships have used
Forte
masts to date.

With any mast, breakages usually occur during violent capsizes, sticking  the
mast in the mud/rocks, or breaking a shroud (usually a cap or a  primary).
Only time will tell how the CST Swift masts  compare with Forte Swift masts.
Clearly, adding more  spreaders should make them more difficult to break but
generally  speaking, breakage has not been a problem when compared to other
classes.

Christian, could you let us know how much the CST masts cost delivered to
the US?  Perhaps we could cut costs by ordering and shipping several  for those
wanting to give them a try.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)