Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx, jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx, email.kerem@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?
From: Steve Nichols <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:02:00 -0800 (PST)
Hi Bram,

I'm not suggesting for a moment that the lowers don't take a huge load. I have
also seen it for myself. My concern with the boats I saw in Florida was that
the load when sailing would allow more lateral movement of the mast in the
wrong direction which may make it harder for the tip to do its job as it would
be bowed the wrong way.  I am suggesting that the addition of spreaders will
help lock the bottom of the mast in the position that you choose. I also accept
that the photo of Robert does show a straight bottom section.

I'm at the disadvantage in this discussion as my mast is sitting in pieces in
the garage and you have a mast on a functioning boat. It would be great to see
the 2 theories going head to head on the race track! That is really the only
way we can resolve the issue.

Cheers,

Steve