Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?

To: aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx, jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx, email.kerem@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:49:23 EST
Steve,
What do you think about the possibility of both you and Jordan coming over
with your Swifts in conjunction with the 505 Worlds next summer?  We's sure
like to sail with you guys up at Huntington Lake.  It's a absolutely  beautiful
spot with warm water above 2000 meters in alt. (near Yosemite).   We'd need to
know before April of this year so we can present this Venue to  the class for
possible approval.  We'd really like to sail with you guys  and buy you a few
good beers at the local saloon--right at the regatta  site.  This is one of
those venues where you never need to get in a  car during the entire event

Regarding the mast questions, we may be able to get and post some  actual
shroud tension readings in Florida during the clinic.  We do this by  tethering
loos gauges to the various shrouds and forestay and going  sailing--taking
photos from the chase boat.  We'll try to get this  done--maybe even before
Florida.  One of the big differences with the Swift  (verses other skiffs) is
that
virtually all leech tension is transferred  through the boom to the vang and on
to the lowers.  On typical skiffs  with caps, that load is pretty much taken
by the transom bridle to the hull  when sailing to weather except as the wind
increases and the boom goes  out it is increasingly transferred through the
boom to the vang/lowers.   Because of the steepness and shortness of the bridle
legs, it's only  completely (nearly) transferred to the vang/lowers when well
off the wind on the  49er.

Hopefully, I can include the actual sailing shroud tension info  in the mast
PDF that I'll do soon.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)