Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?

To: aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx, jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx, email.kerem@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Forte or CST Mast - Verdict out yet?
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:08:39 EST
Steve,
Great to hear from you.  I trust that all is well?

I do have to take serious issue with you regarding the lowers.   As a guy
who's sailed around with loos gauges attached to all of the stays on  these
rigs,
 I can tell you that the lowers take more load than any of the  other stays
except the caps when the kite is up.  It is why we  use 5/32 line instead of
the 1/8" we use everywhere else.  It is true  that when sitting on the shore
with the sails up, the lowers have little or  no tension on them.

I've attached two pictures.  The one of Robert shows how straight the  mast
is athwartships and the second is of Ron Watt limping in with a broken  lower.
Ron was lucky to have made it to shore without breaking that  mast.  I'll do
my best to actually go through the R&D process in a  PDF to show how we ended
up where we did.

What are the chances of you making it over here next year with Jordan  during
the 505 worlds?  It would be great to sail with you again in your  new boat.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

JPEG image

JPEG image